The original hotel was built just prior to 1877, the owner at the time was an Irishman, Michael John Fogarty, famous for his hospitality. The build consisted of the public bar, three sitting rooms and four bedrooms in addition to living quarters for the Fogarty Family.
The pub was always an integral part of the community… in fact the very first wedding that took place in Miles was conducted under the roof vouches of the The Queensland Hotel.
From 1882 the Hotel became home to the Royal Mail service and given it’s central role in the community was often a hive of activity, being a place where weary travellers could stop for rest and enjoy the famous hospitality and for locals to meet and socialise… while posting a few letters of course!
In the early 1900’s the Hotel was purchased by one of the famous Lawton brothers, Jim Lawton. Legend surrounds the Lawton name and the story goes that the The Queensland was purchased with diamonds. The diamonds were won by Lawton in Buckjumping shows conducted in South Africa, where he had travelled to prepare horses for the Boer War.
In 1911 the ownership changed again as one S. Gillis took the reigns. It was Gillis who played host to the then Governor of Queensland, Sir William McGregor.
The hotel would change hands once again in 1919, being held for a brief period by W.R. Osbourne, before finally coming into the possession of Jack Healy… it has stayed in the family since then.